Laguiole knives were originally high-quality traditional Occitan pocket-knife made in the French village of Laguiole (pronounced "Layole") Aveyron, a region of southern France. Laguiole word is derivative of The Occitan word la gleisòla, which means small church. Occitan is a Romance language currently spoken in Southern France, Monaco, Italy's Occitan Valleys and Catalonia's Val d'Aran.
Unlike Champagne, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Sherry and many other names that have protected geographical designation of origin, the word laguiole is a generic term, not legally restricted to knives made in Laguiole, any one company or place of manufacture. Such knives are produced by a number of unrelated companies in southern France, in which 70% of production is coming from Thiers, a long-established centre of the cutlery industry. However a very small production of Laguiole knives are still hand-crafted in Laguiole by around thirty local craftsmen. This small production is of high quality, made in Laguiole en Aubrac following the purest tradition that make these knives so unique.
There are about 109 production steps for a one-piece laguiole, about 166 for a two-piece one, and about 216 for a three-piece model. This long process is what distinguishes true craftmanship from mass production and guarantees the unique qualities of each knife. Each unit is individually hardened, shapping and fitting, all these done by hand.
All Laguiole knives sold in this website are sourced directly from Laguiole en Aubrac and are the genuine kind made all by hand by a Laguiolee craftsman. Each piece or set will come with origin certificate and paperwork that guarantee pieces against manufacturing defects.
Laguiole knives are stamped with history and anecdotes of the last 160 years.
Beautifully handcrafted in the village of Laguiole, France; this steak knife set will last a lifetime while dressing up your table. This is a genuine Laguiole en Aubrac knife set. All Luxury steak knife sets offered by Laguiole en Aubrac are entirely made by a single craftsman from start to finish to insure pride of ownership of the final piece
- Woodstock Laguiole Steak Knives are handcrafted in France by the manufacture and forge de Laguiole en Aubrac!
- Blade, bolsters and plates are forged in 12C27 hardened stainless steel. Polished Mixed Burlwood handles
- Size of the blade 4.25-in Long (11 cm), Total length: 9-in (22 cm)
- Following Laguiole traditional style, the bee is finely chiseled, just like the back of blade embedded in the handle both made of Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel
- The composition of carbon and chromium gives a unique combination of properties including: very high hardness, very high wear resistance and corrosion. Mayple Burl, Chestnut Burl, Teak Burl, Amboyna Burl, Iron woodbury, blackened poplar (Wood types may vary per set)