Kanso is a design principle based on Zen philosophy. It means simplicity, but simplicity that is achieved by eliminating the non-essential. In Kanso concept development, all that doesn't matter was left out and kept everything that does: high-performance steel, razor-sharp edge, perfect balance, and precision cutting control.
The steel is Japanese AUS10, a highly refined, high-carbon, vanadium stainless steel that takes a razor-sharp edge and holds it longer.
Kanso's Heritage finish hides scratches and gives Kanso a rustic look that just improves with age. The handle is made of a wood called tagayasan or wenge, which is sometimes known in Japan as iron sword wood.
The handle contouring enables an easy chef's grip. Full-tang construction provides strength, balance, and easy cutting control.
Like all Shun knives, Kanso is sharpened to a 16° cutting angle each side to cut cleanly and help preserve food's freshness and best taste.
- AUS10A high-carbon/vanadium stainless steel with Heritage finish for premium performance, distinctive look
- Shun-sharp 16°edge (each side) makes food prep fast and easy
- Double-bevel, flat-ground blade glides through food
- Countoured tagayasan/wenge wood handle for a comfortable and beautiful grip
- Full tang provides perfect balance
- Blade length: 6.5-in (16.5 cm)
- Handcrafted in Japan