Paella is a traditional Spanish dish named after the pan in which it is cooked, and can include a variety of meat, fish and vegetables depending on the recipe. But no matter the ingredients, the mark of a good paella is the socarrat which is a layer of toasted rice at the bottom best achieved in a wide, shallow pan. Le Creuset’s heat-retaining enameled cast iron aids in the development of this crust as does the black satin enamel interior, and keeps food warm from stove to oven to table. The large surface area keeps the rice layer shallow and allows excess moisture to evaporate, while the colorful enameled surface minimizes sticking and staining, requires no pre-seasoning, and is easy-to-clean.
- Enameled cast iron delivers superior heat distribution and retention
- Ready to use, requires no seasoning
- Easy-to-clean and durable enamel resists dulling, staining, chipping and cracking
- Black satin interior enamel is specially formulated for higher surface temperatures to enhance cooking performance
- Flat base steadies the pan on the stovetop and the ergonomic handles are designed for easy lifting
- Tight-fitting tempered glass lid locks in moisture
- Lightest weight cast iron by quart on the market
- Compatible with all cooktops and oven-safe up to 500°F
- Safe for dishwasher and metal utensils
Charred Vegetables with Basil Pistou
Make the basil pistou first. In the bowl of a food processor, combine basil, garlic and lemon juice. Pulse to incorporate. Slowly drizzle in the oil, while mixing, until a sauce forms. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining olive oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until shimmering and just starting to smoke, 5 to 7 minutes. Working in batches, add the eggplant and cook 2 minutes on each side or until charred. Repeat with yellow squash, zucchini and finally, tomatoes. Return all vegetables to the pan and cover with lid. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes until the eggplant is tender but not falling apart.
Season with salt and pepper. Spoon basil pistou over the vegetables and garnish with Parmesan to serve.